Thursday, August 1, 2013

Conclusion

    Although each of the art pieces that I decided to write about varied in style and technique the thing that wove them together is their element of confrontation.  Doing this project caught me off guard.  It surprised me in the best way possible.  Getting to see the work in person, really changes the way I would see or appreciate the work.  Looking at a piece online takes away the environment and city that often inspires the piece.  My favorite part of this whole experience was not necessarily even the art. (and I love art, so that's what surprised me)  What I loved the most was the experience that is included in finding and looking at the art.  Street art has a way of including everyone.  Since it isn't in a gallery that has limited access, everyone walking past no matter your age, gender, or social class can create a relationship with it.  It creates conversations that are unexpected and often times surprising. Just as graffiti writers call themselves writers instead of artists, I really view both graffiti and street art as a type of language.  It provides visual narratives, cultural narratives, and personal narratives all within one art form.  There is no way of getting around being told stories when looking and finding street art and graffiti.  I think that the most important thing I learned while looking at these pieces was to always consider the environment.  Space, and territory have almost a heavier influence on this style of art than technique.  Street Art and Graffiti in my mind now isn't only categorized as literature, but also as a site-specific art form.  Taking these pieces out of the context they were made for would completely transform and often times destroy the original intention.  After going out and exposing myself to this style of art, it really inspired me to make art that creates a conversation.  Also making art that is 100% relate able to every audience. A lot of the time I get so tied up in interpretation and content, when this style reminds me that sometimes the goal isn't to get people to look at something and change them, but simply think something.  If art can make someone think or talk about anything, then it's all worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment